Pages

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

10k

Am I the only one who makes fitness goals and gets super excited about them for max 3 days and then just gives up?! I have "trained" for a 5k, a 10k, a marathon (only got to 6 miles but better than nothing!), done boot camps. You name it, I have probably at least attempted one day of it.

Well, I decided after being unemployed for a little over month now, I should do something to occupy my time better. I mean becoming more fit and healthy is probably the best way to start this new chapter in our lives. Right?

Since I technically have run up to 6 miles in one outing before, I think that a 10k isn't totally unattainable. And , a big enough challenge to really push myself but feel accomplished at the end. I found the Hal Higdon 10k Novice Training Guide online. I have used his training guides for previous attempts and I did find them helpful. My issue isn't that the training guides are unrealistic, it's that I have a dedication and will power problem to get my butt off the couch and my feet into some running shoes. And then, even if I do get those clothes on, I have to actually leave the house. :) 

I also downloaded the runtastic app for the iPhone to help me track my work outs. I am pretty sure I am wayyyyyy behind on this fitness app bandwagon but I do really like runtastic. It helps map your runs/walks with GPS and gives you to-the-second updates on distances, speeds, and times. I find this to be my favorite part because I am usually not on already mapped distance trails or anything; just wandering through neighborhoods. That makes knowing how far I am going difficult at times. Most of Hal Higdon's guides are distance based, not time based, unless it's a cross training day.


So, now I just need to pick the race I want to do and sign up for it! That is the final piece of this new commitment! Putting money on it! No one likes to waste money and obviously being unemployed makes wasting money a complete atrocity! I am looking at any races in September. I should be ready to run a 10k by then.

So here I go! Week 1! 


No comments:

Post a Comment