Pages

Friday, May 13, 2011

The Beginning of My Goals

The last post I wrote included 5 goals I want to accomplish. I never gave those goals a time frame but I think I have settled on within a year to start all of them. So here is the beginning...

Start a Book Club.

The funny thing is, I have no idea how to start a book club. So first things first...research on how to start a book club! I have found forums and different online articles on the best ways to form and cultivate a book club. One of the websites had a great starter plan so that is what I am going to use as my reference.

1. Start with a few core people. Find friends who would like to start a book club with you. Maybe about 2 or 3 people. Then, from those people they invite a friend or two and eventually you come out to around 8 to 11 people give or take.

2. Schedule a regular meeting time. Typically once a month. Stick to it and those who can make it to the book club, can, those you can't, can't. That way, people will decide if they can make the commitment or not right from the start.

3. Now, word of mouth is essential to grow the book club. This step is necessary because the club will vary in members due to life; moving, new commitments, time conflicts, ect ect.

4. Establish ground rules. Get together with the core members or the whole group during the first meeting. Decide how to rotate hosts, how to decide on books, who is going to lead discussions, so forth and so on.

5. Time to meet! So actually start the meetings. Set up a few structured meetings the first couple months to kind the groove of the group. If it starts out small, don't stress. That is where step 6 comes in.

6. Keep the invitations coming. Invite people and let the group naturally grow as it will. It will be an ebb and flow.

So here it is! I am ready. I feel confident I can find some great friends and books through this experience. Anyone who is interested in joining the my new book club, let me know! I am open to ideas and thoughts on how to start a book club. Or, if you have ever been one, sharing of experiences would be very helpful!

Thanks!
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment